According to the September 2008 Ad-ology Media Influence on Consumer Choice survey, 60.5 percent of U.S. consumers who recently purchased a mobile or wireless phone said online product reviews and user comments had some or significant influence on their purchase decision. Nearly 30 percent also rated information from blogs with the same level of influence.
Other key findings from the survey:
- Consumers who rated online blogs and reviews highly tend to be younger (18 to 34 years old) and have average or higher than average incomes.
- Television, newspapers, and direct mail advertisements were among the most influential traditional media for recent mobile phone buyers.
- 26.3 percent of consumers surveyed indicated they prefer to purchase mobile/wireless phones online instead of in person/at a store.
- Survey respondents also revealed product reviews, user comments, and blogs significantly influenced other consumer electronics purchases.
- The price of a cell phone was widely considered to be a less important buying factor than rate plans, coverage area, and mobile phone product quality.